No products in the cart.
What makes a better breakfast than a hot plate of freshly made Roti Prata with your favourite curry on the side? With the Thermomix®, we can make our very OWN healthier prata where we control what goes into it. That’s the beauty of the Thermomix® Who says we can’t indulge in this local favourite?
Roti Prata is also called Roti Canai in neighbouring Malaysia!
Thermomix® Recipe Ingredients
- 260 g cold water
- 20 g condensed milk
- 20 g sugar
- 500 g plain flour
- 220 g butter (or ghee), softened, plus extra for greasing
- 10 g salt
Thermomix® Recipe Instructions
- Place water, condensed milk, sugar, plain flour, 20 g butter and salt in mixing bowl, knead 3 min. Let stand in mixing bowl for 5 minutes.
- Knead 3 min. Transfer dough onto a pastry mat, roll into an oblong shape. Divide dough into 10 equal portions. Place a tray on mixing bowl lid, weigh in 200 g butter. Place dough balls on tray and coat generously with butter. Cover with cling film, refrigerate for at least for 2 hours or overnight.
- Place a dough ball on a lightly greased surface and lightly flatten it, pressing and pushing the dough with the heel of your palm to make it flatter. Stretch dough as thin as possible to obtain a thin translucent membrane (windowpane). Spread some more softened butter or oil on dough to help stretching. Scrape and push the upper end of the dough to the middle. Do the same to the lower end, forming a wrinkled thin log. Starting at one end of the log, roll into a spiral shape and tuck the other end inside. Repeat for remaining dough balls. Let rest for 10 minutes.
- Take one dough spiral and flatten into a circle (Ø 10-15 cm). Grease a frying pan with some butter or oil and heat over medium fire. Place flattened dough in pan, pan-fry for several minutes and then flip with a slotted turner to continue cooking until light golden brown. Serve warm.
Click here for the link to Thermomix® TM6 Cookidoo® Step-by-Step Guided Cooking recipe.
Recipe Hints & Tips
- Best served with dhal, curry or sambal.
- For fluffy roti prata, stack a few cooked roti on a working surface. Using both hands compress the roti from two sides (like clapping your hands with roti in between). Ensure this is done while the roti are still warm. Cover the roti with a kitchen towel to keep warm.
- In step 3, you can also lift up one edge of the dough and gently pull to stretch it even more.
Useful Items for this Recipe
Cling film, frying pan, slotted turner, pastry mat (ThermoMat)