No products in the cart.
Cook rice with the Thermomix® using the Varoma! You can cook more servings (up to 800g) of rice in the Varoma dish compared to using the simmering basket and the rice cooker mode. Did you also know that by steaming, you prevent the loss of water-soluble nutrients into the cooking water without any added fat?
Here are some tips to cook rice with the Varoma!
Ensure sufficient liquid (every 15 mins consumes 250g of liquid).
Liquids may rise and overflow when cooking milk, cream or coconut milk.
Best for glutinous rice and coconut rice recipes
Try cooking rice using the Varoma! Loh Mai Gai (Steamed Glutinous Rice with Chicken), a classic dim sum dish, is surprisingly easy to prepare with the Thermomix® 😉.
375g Thai glutinous rice
300g chicken whole legs, cut in 8 pieces
2½ tsp salt
3½ tbsp sugar
2 pinches white pepper powder
3 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tbsp sesame oil, dark (roasted)
1 tbsp ginger paste
1 tsp Chinese rice wine (Shaoxing Hua Diao)
2 tsp dark soy sauce
2 tsp chicken stock powder
20g garlic cloves
50g cooking oil
8 dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked to soften, stems removed
110g lap cheong (Chinese sausage), case removed, cut in quarters
8 heat resistant rice bowls
1. Place a bowl on mixing bowl lid, weigh in glutinous rice. Cover with water and soak for 2 hours.
2. Place a bowl on mixing bowl lid, weigh in chicken. Add ½ tsp salt, ½ tbsp sugar, 1 pinch white pepper powder, 1 tbsp oyster sauce, 1 tbsp sesame oil, ginger and rice wine. Mix and set aside in refridgerator.
3. Place 850g water in mixing bowl, set Varoma dish in position, add soaked rice into it. Cover with Varoma lid and steam 40 min / Varoma / speed 1. Meanwhile, mix 2 tsp salt, 3 tbsp sugar, 1 pinch white pepper powder, 1 tbsp sesame oil, dark soy sauce and chicken stock powder in a small bowl. Remove Varoma and set aside. Carefully open Varoma lid, add reserved seasoning to the rice and mix well with spatula. Empty mixing bowl.
4. Place shallots and garlic cloves in mixing bowl, chop 5 sec / speed 5. Scrape down sides of mixing bowl with spatula.
5. Add cooking oil, sauté without measuring cup 5 min / 120°C / speed 1.
6. Add shiitake mushrooms, lap cheong slices and 2 tbsp oyster sauce, stir fry 4 min / 120°C / speed 1. Transfer to a bowl. Transfer oil from the bowl to reserved rice and mix well. Place 1 chicken piece, 1 mushroom and 1 lap cheong quarters in a steaming bowl. Fold with 1 portion rice mixture and press firmly. Repeat the step for remaining ingredients until finished. Arrange in Varoma dish.
7. Place 850g water in mixing bowl, set Varoma into position, steam 30 min / Varoma / speed 1. Serve warm.
Thermomix® – All you ever need.
Follow us on social media for more cooking tips, recipes and inspiration!