Craving for sweet snacks?
Make your own Hotteok with Thermomix®! They are simply affordable and delicious to make, definitely give them a try! Hotteok is a popular Korean pancake that is usually filled with cinnamon, brown sugar, and nuts such as peanuts and walnuts. These pancakes can be made either thick or thin, and are known for their crispy exterior and tender, chewy interior. It is a sweet dessert like snack commonly served as a street food and is best enjoyed on a cold day.
You can level up and make savoury variations with toppings such as japchae (Korean stir-fried glass noodles), cheese and vegetables.
Hotteok (Sweet Filled Pancakes)
- 2 ¼ tsp dried instant yeast
- 230 g water
- 10 g vegetable oil, plus extra for frying
- 2 Tbsp caster sugar
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- 360 g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 10 g sesame seeds
- 40 g unsalted peanuts
- 50 g light brown sugar
- 60 g runny honey
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- Place yeast, water, oil, sugar and salt in mixing bowl then warm 3 min/37°C/speed 1.
- Add flour and knead 2 min/Dough Mode. Transfer to a large bowl, cover with cling film and leave to rest in a warm place until doubled in size (approx. 1 hour). Meanwhile, make filling.
- Place sesame seeds in mixing bowl and grind 10 sec/speed 10.
- Add peanuts and chop 3 sec/speed 5.
- Add sugar, honey and cinnamon then mix 10 sec/speed 5.
- Once dough has rested, on a lightly-floured surface, divide dough into 8 equal-sized pieces (dough will be sticky) and shape into balls. Roll out one ball into a disc (approx. Ø 10 cm) and place 1 Tbsp filling in the centre. Pinch edges together around the filling, enclosing it completely, to make a ball. Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Place a dough ball in pan, sealed side down. Press down with a spatula to make a disc. Once one side is golden brown and crisp, flip over and press down lightly. Once both sides are golden brown, transfer to a plate, covering to keep warm. Repeat with remaining dough pieces. Serve warm.
Get the Hotteok recipe on Cookidoo® https://cookidoo.international/recipes/recipe/en/r402825