Steamed Radish Cake (Lo Pak Ko 萝卜糕) is a staple in many dim sum stores and is one of our favourite dishes to order!
With the aid of our Thermomix® Cutter, preparing the ingredients for this dish is as easy as 1 2 3! Get radishes grated in seconds. You can also pan fry the radish cake for dim sum style pan fried radish cake! Make variations using yam and pumpkin too!
- 150 g rice flour
- 30 g wheat starch
- 1600 g water
- 2 tsp salt
- 40 g shallots
- 25 g dried shrimp, rinsed
- 40 g oil, plus extra for greasing
- 4-5 dried Chinese mushrooms. soaked to soften, cut into thin slices
- 60 g Chinese sausages, cut into thin slices
- 400 g radish
- 1 tsp chicken stock powder
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp spring onions chopped, fried shallots, to garnish
For grated radish using the Thermomix® Cutter
- Trim radish if necessary to fit in feeder
- Using side 2 of cutting dish, insert radishes in wide part of feeder. Insert pusher and start Grating /Thick while gently pressing pusher down. For TM5 users, set machine to 1min/ speed 4. Side aside.
- Place a bowl onto mixing bowl lid, weigh in rice flour, wheat starch, and 200 g water. Add salt to the bowl and mix. Let it stand for 10 minutes. Strain with a fine mesh strainer. Grease 5 aluminum foil cake moulds (circumference 11 cm) with oil and set aside.
- Place shallots and dried shrimp into the mixing bowl, chop 10 sec/speed 6.
- Scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl with a spatula.
- Add oil, mushrooms, and sausages, and sauté 5 min/120°C/speed spoon
- Add radish, 400 g water, chicken stock powder, and sugar, and cook 10 min/Varoma/speed spoon
- Add reserved flour mixture, mix 1 min/speed 2. Transfer the batter into prepared cake moulds. Grease batter surface with oil and use a spoon to flatten the surface.Cling wrap the mould and the moulds in Varoma dish and tray. Clean mixing bowl.
- Place 1000 g water into mixing bowl, boil 8 min/Varoma/speed 1.
- Set Varoma into position, steam 30 min/Varoma/speed 1. Allow to cool completely before refrigerating for 5 hours to set. Reheat and serve.
- To pan fry : Unmould the steamed radish cake and cut into 3 cm x 5 cm sticks, pan fry with frying pan until light golden brown. Garnish with chopped spring onions, fried shallots and drizzle with some shallot oil.
- Serve immediately (optional with XO sauce)
Watch this video for the steps to make Chinese Radish Cake