No products in the cart.
Deepavali is just around the corner!
Use your Thermomix® to make a traditional Indian breakfast dishes for Deepavali with savoury Idli, Coconut Chutney, Sambar (spicy vegetable stew) and Kesari.
Featuring Thermomix® Fermentation Mode to make the savoury rice cakes, Idli.
Recipe credit : Sushila Patel
Idli – Indian savoury rice cake with Coconut Chutney, Sambar and Kesari
200g Idli rice (parboiled)
100g whole urad dhal
20g fenugreek seeds and 40g water
50g cooked rice
1) Wash and drain Idli rice. Soak in 200g water overnight or for 6-8 hours.
2) Wash and drain urad dhal. Soak in 300g water overnight or for 6-8 hours.
3) Wash and drain fenugreek seeds. Soak in 40g water overnight or for 6-8 hours.
1) Wash and drain Idli rice and urad dhal.
2) Place Idli rice and 100g water into TM bowl, blend 1 min / speed 10. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
3) Add soaked urad dhal, cooked rice, soaked fenugreek seeds and salt into TM bowl, blend 1 min / speed 10. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and lid, transfer to a bowl.
4) Add 50g water into TM bowl, blend 6 sec / speed 6 to remove the remaining residue batter. Transfer to bowl.
5) Cover and ferment Idli batter for 8 to 10 hours in a warm area.
6) Heat 1200g water in kettle mode or 5 mins / varoma / speed 1.
7) Ladle batter into Idli moulds and place them in varoma dish, steam 15 mins / varoma / speed 1.
8) Cool Idli for 5 to 8 mins in the mould.
9) Gently remove Idli from the mould with a tea spoon and place them in thermo server to keep warm.10) Serve Idli with Coconut Chutney and Sambar.
Tip 1: Place Idli batter in a deep bowl as it will rise.
Tip 2: If the batter is too thick, you may add 50g water to lighten it.
2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
2 murungai drumsticks (cut to 6cm)
50g radish (diced 6cm)
100g potato, peeled
1¾ tsp Sambar powder
¼ tsp turmeric powder
½ tsp chilli powder
½ tsp mustard seed powder
A pinch of asafoetida
1 tsp salt
2 Sprig curry leaves
1 tbs tamarind pulp
2 dried chillies
Fresh coriander (optional)
Rinse and soak Tovar dhal for 3 to 4 hours.
1) Pour 350g water, washed Tovar dhal and salt into TM bowl.
2) Place peeled potato, radish and drumsticks into simmering basket. Place it in the TM bowl.
3) 2 layered cooking: 20 min / 100°C / speed 2.OR3) 3 layered cooking with Idli: 15 mins / varoma / speed 1. Remove simmering basket and cooked dhal. Clean TM bowl with 50g water and add it to the dhal. Transfer to a bowl.
4) Place quartered onion and oil into TM bowl, chop 4 sec / speed 6.
5) Add mustard seed powder, curry leaves, dried chillies, pinch of asafoetida and turmeric powder. Sauté 4 min / 120°C / speed 0.5.
6) Add cooked dhal, steamed vegetables, wedged tomatoes, sambar powder, chilli powder, garlic, tamarind pulp and boil 5 min / 100°C / reverse speed 0.5.
7) Transfer to serving bowl and garnish with fresh coriander.Coconut
100g fresh coconut pieces or grated
4 to 5 sprigs of fresh coriander leaves
10 curry leaves
2 fresh green chillies (deseed, cut into halves)
30g waterIngredients for tempering
½ tsp mustard seeds
1 dried red chilli
½ tsp split urad dhal
1 tsp cooking oil
1) Place grated coconut, coriander leaves, curry leaves, onion and salt into TM bowl. Mill turbo / 2 sec, scrape down the sides of the bowl.
2) Add water and blend 50 sec / speed 8. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and place in a serving bowl.
1) Heat oil in a small pan over medium fire. Add dried red chilli and fry for 1 min.
2) Add mustard seeds until it is tempered.
3) Add urad dhal and sauté until light golden colour.
4) Pour over coconut chutney and serve with Idli or dosa.
100g roasted semolina
¼ tsp cardamon powder
1 tbsp hot water
1) Place 10g ghee into Mixing bowl and heat 2mins/120C/Spoon
2) Add Cashew nuts and raisins through the mixing bowl hole. Saute: 3mins/1200C /Spoon
3) Transfer to a plate.
4) Add 30g ghee and semolina to the mixing bowl. Mix: 20sec/Sp2.5
5) Saute Semolina with ghee:8 mins/Varoma /Sp2
6) Scrape down the sides of Mixing bowl with spatula and roast: 4mins/120C/Sp2
7) Transfer to a bowl.
8) Add 1tbs hot water to saffron strands. Mix well to bring out the colour.
9) Add water to the mixing bowl and kettle mode or boil: 5min/Varoma/Speed 1
10) Add the saffron liquid, into the mixing bowl.
11) Add roasted semolina and cardamom powder. Cook: 5mins/varoma /Sp2 reverse. At *3minutes add sugar through the lid hole.
12) When it is 1 minute remaining, add the roasted cashew nuts, raisins, through the lid hole. The semolina will leave the sides at this point.
13) Transfer into a prepared slice pan/ plate. Press down the Kesari with a flat bottom ladle/spatula. Let it cool down to room temperature.
14) Slice to squares and serve.
Tip: At step 11. Total cooking time is 5 minutes inclusive of adding semolina, sugar, cashew and raisins.