No products in the cart.
This is the mooncake season! Eating traditional mooncakes is a time-honoured tradition every year to celebrate mid-autumn festival where traditionally families will gather under the full month with lantern lit up, mooncake pastries and a pot of hot Chinese tea.
Check out this recipe, courtesy of Prima, adapted for Thermomix® users.
150g Prima Hong Kong Flour
90g Golden syrup
32g Peanut oil
1/4 tsp Alkaline water
Filling of choice (click here for our red bean paste recipe made from scratch with Thermomix®)
1 egg yolk + 1 tsp milk
Directions for Thermomix®
1) Add the flour into the mixing bowl, sieve at 2sec / Turbo x 2
2) Place all the rest of the ingredients into the mixing bowl, 2min / Knead
3) Remove the dough and rest it at least 1.5h or overnight for best results
4) Wrap about 30:70 ratio for dough and filling – calculate in accordance to your mould size
5) During our Cook-along tutorial on Thermomix Facebook, we used a 50g mould and did 16g dough and 38g filling
6) Bake in a preheated oven at 170c with top & bottom heating, in the middle rack of the oven
7) Remove the mooncakes after 5min to egg wash*
8) Place the mooncakes back into the oven and continue to bake for another 5min then remove for another round of egg wash*
9) Continue to bake for another 10min then remove to cool
10) Store in an airtight container for 3 days before you eat these mooncakes
11) By then, the mooncakes will be soft with a delectable glossy sheen
1. Use a fine tip egg wash brush, be light-handed with egg wash so that you do not lose the distinctive prints
2. Adjust the oven – too hot an oven will overheat the exterior of the mooncake and result in a “melted” exterior with muddled prints
3. Do not opt out the egg wash as this step is essentially in the final sheen on the mooncakes
4. Use a cling wrap when resting the dough
5. Ensure your mooncake mould is well dusted with flour
6. A plunger is easier for newbies
Only 2 minutes to knead the traditional mooncake dough. Have you experienced the world’s smartest kitchen all-in-one multi-cooker yet? Book your personal Thermomix® cooking experience now.
Or purchase the Thermomix® TM6 with the latest offer here.