Do you know you can get the most succulent whole chicken by steaming in your varoma? Just rub the skin with your Thermomix homemade spice rub (smoked paprika, ground chilli, garlic, salt, pepper, Olive oil), stuff wth apples, rosemary, onion and steam away for 60-70min (depends on size of the chicken) over 1.2-1.5kg water (depends on how much gravy you want). Once done, you can brown the bird in the oven and use the leftover steaming liquid for soup, gravy or stock. Serve with veggies steamed together with your chicken.
You are limited only by your own imagination. Use the same method for Thai style chicken with lemongrass, lime, chilli, fish sauce and Thai basil; Provençal style chicken with onion, garlic, tomato and oregano…etc non appetit!
- 1 Whole chicken, (1.6 – 1.8kg)
- 1 onion, chopped in half
- 1 apple, cored
- 1 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 2 cloves of garlic
- pinch of salt and grounded black pepper
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp tablespoon Ground Chilli or cayenne pepper (adjust spiciness)
- 1 tsp garlic powder or 2 tsp fresh grounded garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp grounded black pepper
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary, or 1 tbsp dried rosemary
- olive oil
- 70g AP flour
- 4 TBSP Thermomix chicken stock powder
- Insert stuffing into the cavity of the chicken and place the chicken into the varoma deep dish
- Wipe the chicken dry and brush chicken all over with Olive Oil
- Prepare the spice rub by combining all remaining ingredients and rubbing into the skin of the chicken.
- Place 1.5 litres of water into the Thermomix bowl.
- Place the chicken into the Varoma and place into position.
- Cook the chicken for <70 minutes / Varoma / speed 2*>
- During the last 8-10 minutes, add cut vegetables into the varoma next to the chicken#
- To you prefer to brown and crisp the skin, place the chicken into an oven preheated to 180C and roast for a further 10 minutes
- Otherwise, leave the chicken inside the varoma for another few minutes
- Added flour, stock powder (and oven roast liquid from the chicken if any) and cooked the remaining liquid at <90 degree / 8 min / speed 4>
- Serve with the vegetables and gravy/sauce
# Tip 1: Different vegetables may have different cooking times. Cube cruciferous and roots will cook longer. Pop the roots into the oven together with your chicken if you are crisping the chicken skin in the oven.
*Tip 2: Watch the water level to ensure it does not dry up